Thursday 2 April 2009

And Now...The End is Near....

Here I am, on my very last night. I'm feeling really rather sad. Now my skin is all healed up I want to carry on travelling, exploring and adventuring. But only if I can dump my dive gear and replace the two pairs of travel trousers that have finally died during this trip! The tropics sure are tough on your clothes!

Yesterday I decided to go back to the ruins. It is such an amazing place and I wanted to walk round more slowly and see things I had missed the day before. It was a lovely peaceful day. I had planned on walking up to the La Sepulturas ruins that are a further 1km away but ended up enjoying the nature trail again. Bird list is now well over 25 just since leaving Utila! I was a complete coward in the evening, looked at a couple of restaurants but the Forest Llama was cheaper so I went back...again! I am definitely going somewhere new tonight, I promise! Nice breakfast yesterday at Vamos A Ver cafe. Prices look a bit high for evening meals but had a decent breakfast for $4 (they make their own bread, it was delicious), the same price as at La Casa de Todo where I had the granola, fruit and yogurt on my first day.

Today I had planned to try and cram in the Butterfly park, the Macaw Mountain bird park, the walk to the bus terminal to buy my ticket for the morning AND getting online to check-in in advance (unfortunately the online check-in didn't work because I have a connecting flight). In the end, after walking to the bus terminal this morning I decided to ditch the butterfly park. Maybe if I am really lucky I'll come back in the not too distant future. I would love to spend at least a couple of months travelling down from Mexico to Panama. Anyway, so after getting my ticket sorted for 5.15am tomorrow (yuck!) I headed back to the central park to grab a motorcycle taxi. When I first heard about these I assumed it was sitting on the back of a bike! Nope! They are tuktuks! So funny to see them outside of Thailand, but what a great idea. I believe there is even one in sunny Sheringham on the North Norfolk coast now. They are spreading! So for a mere $1 (20 lempiras) I get the 10 minute ride up the hill to the bird park which is situated along a ravine. It was beautifully planted with lots of luscious vegetation and tall trees dripping in epiphytes. All the birds there are rescue birds, mostly former pets, birds that have been sick, mistreated, or found having fallen from the nest. None of the birds were caught in the wild and they release any that they can. I liked the place. It is always nicer to see birds flying free rather than in aviaries but still the aviaries were lovely and they all looked healthy and happy. Well maybe not so happy after I sat next to one of the macaw aviaries singing in spanish! Meanwhile in the aviary next door some little parakeets kept calling Hola! and whistling their appreciation for my singing! Well, that is what I am going to tell myself anyway. So, the birds there are mostly native macaws, parrots and parakeets. They also had toucans, aracaris and toucanets (both related to toucans), a couple of owls and a couple of hawks. They put out food for the wild birds too and there were trees filled with oropendolas. A different species from the one with my favourite bird call. I added considerably to my list whilst I was wandering about the beautiful walkways, nature trail and sitting on the bridge cafe. After lunch at the cafe I took a wonderfully refreshing dip in the natural pool they have created in the river. Bliss! I had it all to myself, well there was a dog sharing the steps to start with. A german shepherd, poor thing, can you imagine the heat carrying a coat like that! Then when he left it was just me, and the birds flying overhead, including large flocks of parakeets chattering to each other, and more oropendolas zooming up and down the valley. Another wander round, including a sighting of a wild pygmy owl with a dead lizard in it's claws (the same species of owl that they have in one of the aviaries!) and then I walked the 2.5 km dusty road back to town (downhill! thank goodness!).

Tonight there is a big football match on. Honduras v. Mexico in a world cup round. I'm hoping to find a place to watch it after I've showered and packed, I think they might be setting up a screen in the central park. Watching football in Latin America is always a great experience. They turn it into a big party, even if they lose! I hope they win though, would be a nice touch to the end of my journey.

Well folks. Thank you for reading my ramblings. I hope to post some more photos when I get home, including the pictures from the ruins and from today. I had better get going, I'm hungry and the match starts in an hour and a half! Vamos Honduras!

Adios y suena con los angeles.....goodbye and sleep with the angels (the equivalent of Sweet Dreams!)

No comments:

Post a Comment